Boston University, J.D. (1987)
University of Michigan, B.A. (1984)
For more than two decades, Andrea Muchin has resolved, both through settlement and litigation, complex family law and divorce cases at Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP. Andrea’s vast array of experience covers all facets of family law including sophisticated financial issues, business valuations, maintenance, child support, child custody, removal, and visitation issues. In addition, Andrea has also negotiated and drafted numerous pre- and post-nuptial agreements and amicably settled hundreds of cases.
Andrea represents successful people who work both in and out of the home, have unique problems and issues, and who are willing to listen to sound advice on how to move forward in their lives. Over time, she has represented and guided both men and women through this often difficult time in their lives. Andrea prides herself on the direct and individualized approach she takes with each client. Andrea listens to her clients’ needs and helps them understand their current situation, identify and prioritize their concerns, and develop realistic goals and expectations. Using legal, personal, financial, and counseling skills, Andrea provides a rational, intelligent and individualized approach to achieving what is best for each client given the totality of their circumstances and the range of realistic options.
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2017-2018)
- Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2018)
- Listed as a Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyer by Leading Lawyers Network (2015, 2016)
- Illinois (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Associations
- Chicago Bar Association (Member, Family Law Committee)
- Illinois State (Member, Family Law Section)
Articles and Publications
- Summer Newsletter 2018
- Two courts reject creative way to shelter husband's marital assets
- High court leans toward giving guardians greater role in divorce
- Newsletter Vol. 9, No. 3 - Summer
- In divorce cases, maintenance accords need to be well-drafted
- Newsletter Vol. 8, No. 3 - Summer
- When it comes to removal, is the threshold shifting in Illinois?
- Newsletter Vol. 7, No. 4 - Fall
- Child Support - Which Parent Receives it and When?
- Helpful Advice for Jewish Families Confronting Divorce
- The Role of Your Child's Attorney in the Divorce Process
- Illinois Spousal Support Laws: Cohabitation Conundrum
- Understanding Your Client’s Mental Health Needs
- Grandparents’ Visitation Rights in Illinois
- The Muchin's: Sticking Together in Law and in Life
- The Need For Mental Health Professionals in Divorce
- Grandparent's Rights
Andrea received her Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Michigan and her Juris Doctor from Boston University School of Law. An active member of the family law sections of the American Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, and Illinois State Bar Association, she is a graduate of the American Bar Association’s Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute. Andrea has also lectured and written extensively in the areas of spousal support, mental health needs and concerns, joint parenting, custody evaluations, removal, 604 reports, college expenses for divorcing parents, tax benefits of the Illinois Section 529 Plan and grandparent visitation rights. Andrea is actively involved in many organizations including, but not limited to, the Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School, the Jewish United Fund, Shalva, the Holocaust Museum, Personal Pac, The Latin School of Chicago and EPWNG.
- Speaker at the Young Lawyers Group of the Jewish United Fund in a panel discussion regarding paths in the legal practice, 2017
- Grandparents Rights and Joint Parenting, J.C.C. and Veterans of the Northwest Suburbs and Chicagoland area, 1994-1997
- How to Handle Your Client's College Savings Needs Through Divorce: The Reality of College Expenses for Divorced/Divorcing Parents and Tax Benefits of the Illinois Section 529 Plan, Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Family Law Committee, 2003