John Marshall Law School, J.D. (2013)
North Central College, B.S. (2010)
More often than not, the best position at the negotiation table is the product of an even better position at trial. Applying that theory through careful listening, extensive preparation, and aggressive litigation, Brett M. Buckley provides an individualized approach to each case and works tirelessly to achieve the best possible results for his clients in their divorce and custody disputes.
An associate attorney with Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP, Mr. Buckley represents business owners, executives, professionals, celebrities, professional athletes, people with multigenerational wealth and their spouses in divorce and custody disputes, as well as in the preparation of premarital and post-nuptial agreements. Beginning as a law clerk with the firm in 2011 and as an associate attorney in 2013, Mr. Buckley concentrates his practice exclusively in the area of family law, including the distribution of multi-million dollar estates and complicated custody disputes.
- Leading Lawyers - Emerging Lawyer (2018-2019)
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-2019)
- Illinois (2013)
- Lake County Bar Association Facilities Remodel Fundraising Committee 2017
- Lake County Circuit Court Local Court Rules Subcommittee 2015
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section Family Law Committee: Co-chair 2013-14
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section Family Law Committee Legislative Liaison 2012-13
- With Big Time Settlements Verdicts, Will Divorce Lawyers Be In the Middle?
- Speaker: "Third Party Intervention in Divorce Cases"-Lake County Bar Association Family Law Section Conference, Charleston, South Carolina (2018)
- Stock market's wild ride can make divorce allocations a bit tricky
- Speaker: "Gifts and Purchases in Contemplation of Marriage"-Lake County Bar Association Family Law Section Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada (2015)
- Assisted Author and Presenter Anita M. Ventrelli in preparing "Alimony: The State of the States - Where Are We Now?" National Counsel of Juvenile and Family Court Judges' Judicial Institute: Family Law, Spring 2013
- Impact of Market Volatility on Divorce Agreements
- Nasty divorce litigation opens doors to threat of cyber exposure
- Consider pre-nup in engagement season
- Newsletter Vol. 8, No. 4 – Fall
A life-long Chicago-area resident who grew up on the city’s south side, Mr. Buckley attended Mount Carmel High School, earned his Bachelor’s Degree from North Central College in Naperville, and earned his Juris Doctor from the John Marshall Law School. While in law school, Mr. Buckley focused his studies on trial advocacy, alternative dispute resolution, and family law.
Mr. Buckley was recognized as a Leading Lawyer: Emerging Lawyer in 2018, and as a Super Lawyer “Rising Star” every year since 2016. Mr. Buckley is actively involved in local bar associations through leadership roles, as well as speaking and writing engagements. He also volunteers his time with the Michael Matters Foundation, a non-profit organization established for the purpose of raising awareness and funds for the treatment of glioblastoma brain tumors.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association