DePaul University, J.D. (1974)
University of Wisconsin, B.B.A. (1971)
Helping clients negotiate one of divorce’s most challenging issues—the evaluating and division of property—Burton Hochberg brings a welcome objectivity and practicality to the table. He has a reputation among his colleagues as being "tough but fair." Mr. Hochberg assists clients in identifying and prioritizing their concerns, and evaluating settlement options from a cost-benefit perspective.
A matrimonial lawyer with more than 40 years of experience, Mr. Hochberg has significant expertise in helping high net worth clients in the areas of property valuation, child support, child custody and maintenance. Although Mr. Hochberg attempts to keep a case out of court when possible, he is also a skilled litigator and is regarded as a force to be reckoned with in the courtroom.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, by Neifeh and Smith (2001-2019)
- Leading Lawyers Network (2005-2018)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2005-2019)
- Illinois (1974)
- Florida (1975)
- Hearing Board Member, Illinois Disciplinary Commission (1994-1997)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Chairman, Membership Committee) (1997-1998) (Board of Managers) (2015-2016)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Co-Chairman, Admissions Committee) (1998-2004)
Articles and Publications
- Trends and Issues Affecting Divorcing Couples
- Divorce and Bitcoin
- The Background and History of Pride Month
- Newsletter Vol. 9, No. 4 - Fall
- For Better or For Worse
- Couches, Lamps and Ashtrays
- Newsletter Vol. 7, No. 4 - Fall
- Custody Awards to Stay at Home Fathers – Myth or Reality
- The "Without Prejudice" Order
- Imputed Income for Support Awards
- How Property is Divided in an Illinois Divorce Case
- Valuing a Hedge Fund
He has been designated as one of the nation's top matrimonial lawyers by Best Lawyers in America, and is a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. He has served as a member of the Hearing Board and Inquiry Board of the Illinois Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois. Prior to joining Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP, Mr. Hochberg headed his own law firm. He is the proud father of two daughters, one of whom is a graduate of Tufts University and one of whom is a graduate from Colorado State University.
In the News
- Burt Hochberg: A Calm Voice During Divorce Chaos
- "Business Valuations in Divorce Cases," Chicago-Kent College of Law, October 23, 2017.
- "How Social Workers Interact with Divorce Attorneys", Masters candidates at the School of Social Work, Loyola University, February 15, 2012.