Meet JasonBio Honors & Awards Admissions Memberships Media & Appearances Articles & Publications Videos
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D. (2003)
Indiana University School of Business, B.S. (2000)
Maastricht University, Netherlands, Erasmus Certificate (1999)
Jason Sposeep authoritatively advocates for high net-worth professionals and their spouses who want fair and equitable results. Jason’s extensive background in business and finance as well as his compassion and understanding, enables him to sensibly resolve complicated divorce and custody disputes in and out of the courtroom. Jason strenuously believes in putting the children first in every divorce situation.
While Jason’s experience in trying numerous complex divorce and custody matters permits him to be an assertive opponent, Jason makes every effort, when appropriate, to keep matters out of the courtroom. As a skilled negotiator having been trained in mediation and the collaborative divorce model, Jason has the ability to successfully navigate clients through the financial and emotional aspects of their chosen divorce process. Jason has also completed his 40-hour mediation certification.
Jason is a former executive board member of the Collaborative Divorce Illinois (“CDI”). Jason uses his substantial experience in with Collaborative divorce to regularly educate fellow practitioners and improve upon the collaborative divorce practice. Jason continues to assist in the redrafting and updating of the Participation Agreement used in every Collaborative divorce across the State of Illinois and has played an influential role in the passing of the Illinois Supreme Court Rule 294, which directs how lawyers operate in a Collaborative Divorce.
- Ranked in Band 1 by 2022 Chambers and Partners USA for Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth in Illinois
- Top 40 Under Forty, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (2016)
- Best Lawyers in America - Family Law, Collaborative Law & Family Law Mediation (2015-2022)
- Top 100 Lawyer - Illinois Super Lawyers (2019, 2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2014-2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyers - Rising Star (2012-2013)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (2014-2020)
- Illinois (2003)
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- VIS International Moot Court Honor Society (successfully competed in Vienna)
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Collaboration Is Key, Hinsdale Living Magazine, November 2021
Choose Your Own Divorce Path, Lilac Tree (2018)
Passage of the Uniform Act and Collaborative Law, Supreme Court Committee on Professional Responsibility (2017)
Collaborative Process Act: A New Beginning (2017)
Fred Lane 40 Hour Mediation Certificate Course on Mediation in Family Law (2017)
Sensible Separation: Connecting the pieces of the divorce puzzle (2017)
The Interface Between the 2016 Changes to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act and Collaborative, Chicago Bar Association (2016)
Geriatric Dissolution Issues, 3rd Annual ISBA Elder Law Bootcamp: Basics and Beyond (2016)
Relocation Under the New IMDMA, Chicago Bar Association YLS Family Law Committee Meeting (2016)
Considering Your Path to Divorce, The Lilac Tree (2016)
Making the Market for the Team-Based Approach, Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois (2016)
Working Effectively with Expert Witnesses, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2015)
Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training, Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois (2015)
Collaborative Divorce - Non-Adveserial Conflict Resolution Process, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (2013)
Changing Landscape of Family Law, Ledded Ltd. Presents (2013)
Divorce Law and Public Policy, DePaul University (2013)
Corbin v. Corbin. Guardians Initiating Divorce on Behalf of Their Wards, Chicago Bar Association, Probate Practice Committee (2013)
Marriage and Divorce: Planning for the Future, Divorce and Family Planning-Chicago Kent College of Law (2012)
Jason is a frequent lecturer on a number of family law issues including attorney assisted mediation, Collaborative Divorce, trial techniques as they relate to business valuation experts, marriage and divorce planning, guardianship divorce actions, prenuptial agreements, domestic violence and child custody disputes. Jason is the past President of the Chicago Kent Alumni Board of Directors. Jason is also a founding co-chair of the Chicago Kent Young Alumni Counsel which is accountable for providing continuing education to alumni and furthering alumni relationships. Jason is also on the CDI training committee responsible for teaching the Collaborative Divorce Process to lawyers, mental health professionals and financial experts.
Representative case results include:
Collaborated on more than 75 collaborative divorce matters, many of which were complex, multi-million dollar estates with child related issues.
Effectively litigated termination of maintenance obligation of ex-husband whose ex-wife failed to properly rehabilitate herself.
Represented Fortune 500 executive and obtained sole custody, removal, and no child support or maintenance to the underemployed husband.
Arbitrated against a request for termination or reduction in maintenance on behalf of an ex-wife and defeated the claims retaining six-figure permanent maintenance.
Successfully vacated several orders of protection involving serious false abuse allegations.
Facilitated more than 200 mediations on behalf of divorcing clients resulting in resilient outcomes without involving litigation.
- 40-hour Certified Mediator
Articles and Publications
- The Heart of the Collaborative Divorce Process
- Newsletter - Fall 2017
- Jason Sposeep - Forty Under 40
- Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training 2017
- It Gets Better: Meet a couple of re-married divorce attorneys
- Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training 2016
- Should We Sell the House?
- 10 Steps to Having a Healthy Blended Family
- Jason Sposeep was interviewed for the article "Collaborative Divorce: A Holistic Approach For Long Term Success" for the blog Divorced Girl Smiling.
- Jason Sposeep gave a presentation to Stout Risius and Ross titled "What Does a Divorce Lawyer Want from a Forensic Accountant?" on October 21, 2014.
- Newsletter, Special Edition - Collaborative Law
- How To Benefit From a Collaborative Divorce and Questions to Ask Before Hiring a (Collaborative) Lawyer
- Attorney Assisted Mediation: An Alternative to High Cost/High Conflict Divorce
- Five Successful Tips for Co-Parenting After Divorce: Making Joint Custody Work