Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D, Chicago, Illinois, Member Phi Alpha Delta (1996-1998)
Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California, Member of Pepperdine Law Review (1995-96)
Bucknell University, B.A. cum laude (1992), Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
An ability to help clients successfully navigate challenging financial issues and child custody matters has distinguished Jennifer’s family law practice for more than 17 years.
Jennifer recognizes that every family’s situation is different, and provides clients with a customized strategy to fit their needs and goals. At the same time she works to maintain integrity, trust and superior service. Jennifer’s experience in litigation and settlement covers all areas of family law, including trust and estate plans, real estate appraisals, and executive compensation benefits. She is especially known for handling complex financial litigation cases that involve business valuations, as well as cases that entail high conflict custody and parenting issues. Jennifer represents a wide variety of clients, both men and women, including executives, professional athletes, entrepreneurs and stay-at-home spouses.
As the mother of a young son and daughter herself, Jennifer knows the importance of developing custody arrangements and parenting plans that put the interests of children first, shield them from harm, and promote their health and happiness. She has established a network of resources and referrals to assist parents of children with learning disabilities, or other special needs. Jennifer also guides parents through the school system to assure that children receive the educational support they need to thrive, including individualized education programs.
In addition to her extensive litigation experience in family law matters, Jennifer has trained in Collaborative Law and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Law. Her skills in both litigation and collaborative law enable her to advise clients which cases should be tried and which cases can be effectively settled. Jennifer is also a trained mediator and arbitrator.
- 2018 Irish Legal 100 Honoree
- Alumni Spotlight, Loyola University of Chicago School of Law (2015)
- Chicago Law Bulletin’s 40 Under Forty Attorneys to Watch (2006)
- Member, Leading Lawyers Network of Top Family Law Lawyers (2007-2018)
- Leading Lawyers Top 100 Women Lawyers in Illinois (2009-2017)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2013-2019)
- Crain’s Chicago Business (February 21, 2011)
- 2008 Law & Politics Chicago Magazine Illinois Super Lawyers: The Top Young Lawyers in Illinois
- Top Lawyer in Illinois (2011) As Published in West Suburban Living
- Top Lawyers Leading Women Lawyers (2009) As Published in Chicago Lawyer
- Illinois Rising Star, Top Young Lawyer in Illinois (2008-2009)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Leading West Suburban Lawyer (2011-2012)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, by Neifeh and Smith (2014-2019)
- Illinois State Bar Association (1998-present)
- American Bar Association (1998-present)
- Chicago Bar Association (Past President of Young Lawyers Division, Family Law Section) (1998-present)
- Loyola University Chicago Women’s Law Society Mentorship Program (2008 to present)
- Recruiting Committee Chair for Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP
- Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois –Collaborative Law Certificate
- Illinois Federation of Business Women’s Club (IFBPWC)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Law1yers (Treasurer of the Illinois Chapter 2015-2016, Membership Committee)
Articles and Publications
- Winnetka resident named senior partner at Chicago family law firm
- Where has all the litigation gone?
- 7 Tips for Those Thinking of Divorce
- "Winnetka resident Jennifer Dillon Kotz recently named 2014 Illinois Super Lawyer," Winnetka Talk, TribLocal Winnetka & Northfield, Winnetka Patch (January 2014)
Lectures and Boards
- On Advisory Committee for DevonStowe
- “Handling Your First Divorce Case” IICLE (April, 2006)
- DePaul Family Law Society Panel – Balancing Career and Family (September, 2006)
- CBA Young Lawyers Section: Hunting and Gathering in a Divorce: What to Look for and Where to Find It, “Creating Your Discovery Roadmap”(January 26, 2011)
Jennifer has been widely acclaimed for her litigation and settlement capabilities. She has been recognized in Leading Lawyers Top 100 Women Lawyers in Illinois (2014 and 2015); Illinois Super Lawyers (2013-2017); Best Lawyers in America (2012-2018); as a Top Lawyer in Illinois (2011-2013) as published in West Suburban Living in 2006; in Top Lawyers in Illinois as published in Crain’s Chicago Business (2011); inducted into the Leading Lawyers Network of Top Family Law Lawyers in 2009; received the recognition of Top Lawyer Leading Women Lawyers (2009) as published in Chicago Lawyer; listed as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine in 2009; and selected one of the “40 Under 40 Illinois Attorneys to Watch” by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin in 2006.
Jennifer is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the American Bar Association, and is a past Chair of the CBA Young Lawyers Division, Family Law Committee. She has lectured on family law topics for the IICLE, the Chicago Bar Association, and the DePaul Law Society. Jennifer is also a Circuit Court of Cook County Court-Certified mediator.