DePaul University, J.D. (2005)
University of Wisconsin - Madison, Bachelor of Arts (2002)
Notable Legal Training
American Bar Association Trial Advocacy Institute (2013)
Harvard Law School Negotiation Institute Workshop (2011)
Joshua Jackson is a partner with Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP. An experienced litigator and skilled negotiator, he focuses his practice on complex family law matters, including novel property division and support issues, interstate and international issues, business valuation, interstate custody disputes, trusts, tax issues, and orders of protection.
Hallmarks of Joshua’s representation are individualized attention, exceptional client communication, enthusiasm for tackling the most difficult legal issues, and working tenaciously to resolve his client’s problems using a strategic, practical approach. Joshua believes that having a mastery of the law, negotiation strategy, and trial skills is critical to successfully representing clients. Equally important, and often overlooked, is understanding people - what motivates them, what will convince them to accept a client’s position, and what will stop them from taking a harmful course of action. That is what many disputes are about at their core. Joshua utilizes his skills and experience to favorably resolve his clients’ disputes.
Family law cases, unlike most types of litigation, involve ever-changing facts. Successful representation requires strategic thinking and a broad skillset. Joshua collaborates with other attorneys to settle cases, but when necessary, litigates the most difficult issues presented in family law cases. He frequently represents clients who come from other attorneys and are dissatisfied with their one-size-fits-all approach. Joshua understands that all too often, attorneys have an always settle or always litigate mentality. One of the most important aspects of his representation is advising a client when to be aggressive and when to collaborate. “I will tell you when to tap the breaks and when to hit the accelerator.”
- Top 40 Under Forty, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (2018)
- Best Lawyers in America (2016-2021)
- Leading Lawyers (2015-2020)
- Illinois Rising Star by Illinois Super Lawyers (2014-2020)
- Illinois (2005)
- Lake County Bar Association (2005)
- American Bar Association (2005)
- Justinian Society of Lawyers
- Lake Forest Caucus (Past President)
- Arbitration - A Bargain for Finality - Lake County Bar Association Seminar (2017)
- Tax Aspects of Divorce - DePaul University College of Law (2017)
- Gifts and Purchases in Contemplation of Marriage - Lake County Bar Association Family Law Section Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada (2015)
- Dissolved But Not Done: Bifurcated Judgments - Lake County Bar Association, Family Law Committee (2014)
- Panel Member - Illinois CPA Society Chapter meeting (2014)
- A Primer on Divorce - Divorce Workshop (2013)
Notable Legal Training and Education
- American Bar Association Trial Advocacy Institute (2013)
- Harvard Law School Negotiation Institute Workshop (2011)
- Interviewed for the Lake Forester, "Shout Out: Joshua Jackson family law attorney," November 2015
Among his many career achievements, Joshua has earned recognition to “The Best Lawyers in America” list since 2016 and was honored as one of Law Bulletin Media’s “40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch” in 2018. Joshua has also been named to the Illinois Leading Lawyers list and to the Illinois Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers since 2014. He has also been called upon as a speaker and lecturer on family law issues including tax issues, property division, bifurcation, and arbitration for bar associations and as a guest lecturer at DePaul University College of Law.
A published author, Joshua has written articles for the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Law Journal Newsletters, and he has also co-authored the chapter on Marital Settlement Agreements for multiple editions of “Illinois Family Law: Property and Financial Aspects of Dissolution Actions” for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Joshua’s notable post-law school training includes the Harvard Law School Negotiation Institute Workshop and the American Bar Association / National Institute for Trial Attorneys’ Trial Advocacy Institute.
An active leader in his community, Joshua has served as President of the Lake Forest Caucus – a non-partisan volunteer organization that identifies, vets, and slates individuals for community leadership positions including mayor, alderman, and school board. He served as President as part of four (4) years of service in that organization. In the past, he has also served on the Board of Directors of the Lake Forest Symphony.
Articles and Publications
- Witness Classification: Expert Consultant v. Controlled Expert Witness (2021)
- Newsletter - Summer 2017
- Family law arbitration can be quick, but also damaging to loser
- Buyer Beware: Are You Making It Marital?
- Dissolved But Not Done: Bifurcated Judgments
- Supplement - Illinois Family Law: Property and Financial Aspects of Dissolution Actions - Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2013)
- A Practical Guide to Navigating Visitation Disputes