University of Notre Dame, J.D. (1996)
University of Illinois, B.S. (1993)
Meighan Harmon focuses on complex family law cases involving the distribution of multi-million dollar estates and represents successful business professionals and their spouses from a variety of industries, as well as individuals with multi-generational wealth.
Meighan is a versatile attorney who provides her clients a wide range of options for resolving their disputes. She is an experienced litigator who can be fierce in the courtroom, but she is also a trained collaborative lawyer and a family law mediator who can devise creative solutions and amicably settle even the toughest of cases. No two divorces are the same, and Meighan possesses the skills necessary to provide the right solution for each unique situation.
Not only does Meighan assist her clients in dissolving their marriages, but she also encourages them to be future focused. She believes divorce offers clients a unique opportunity to build a positive future for themselves, complete with financial and emotional security. To this end, she provides her clients with the tools necessary to help them construct a solid foundation on which to navigate their new lives. For Meighan’s clients, divorce can be a spring board to reinventing themselves.
- Listed in Crain's Chicago's Notable Women Lawyers 2018
- Listed as a 10 Best Female Attorney in Illinois by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys (2016)
- Listed as a Top 100 Lawyer in Illinois by Super Lawyers (2017-2018)
- Listed as a Top 50 Women Lawyer in Illinois by Super Lawyers (2016-2019)
- Listed as a Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyer by Leading Lawyers Network (2015, 2016)
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Fellow (2013)
- “40 Attorneys Under 40 in Illinois to Watch” by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2004)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, by Neifeh and Smith (2008-2019)
- Leading Lawyers Network (2006-2019)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2006, 2009-2018)
- 2012 Women in Law, “Women Making an Impact,” Law Bulletin Publishing Company
- Illinois (1996)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Fellow (President, Illinois Chapter, 2011-2012)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Foundation Board Member
- American Bar Association (Family Law Section)
- Illinois State Bar Associations
Articles and Publications
- Spring Newsletter 2018
- Financial Strategies, Advice for Negotiating the Breakup
- Finding Success in Succession Planning
- Interview on WBBM Radio regarding finances and divorce
- Divorce not only hurts in the heart for a lifetime, but also the wallet
- Nuptial Agreement Forms and Lists for Estate Planners
- Nuptial Agreements for Estate Planners
- Newsletter, Special Edition Part 1 - 2016
- What's Love Got To Do With It? Women and Premarital Agreements From Every Angle
- What You Need To Know About How Executive Compensation Is Affected By The Dodd-Frank Act
- No more balm for the broken-hearted?
- How To Remain A Trusted Advisor When Your Client Gets Divorced
- Unique Employee Benefits: Stock Options, ESOPs, Etc
Meighan is part of an elite group of leaders in family law. In 2011, she was elected by her peers to be President of the Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. In 2016, Super Lawyers named Meighan as one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Illinois, and she has since been named in Best Lawyers in America, Leading Lawyers Network, and Illinois Super Lawyers.
A frequent lecturer on family law topics, she is also a published author, having assisted in the researching and drafting of the book Problems in Family Law. She also co-authors a chapter for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education titled Unique Employee Benefits: Stock Options, ESOPs, Etc and published articles in the Matrimonial Strategist, the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, The Family Advocate, and other publications.
In the News
- Keeping Divorces Civil - Leading Lawyers Magazine
- How To Remain A Trusted Advisor When Your Client Gets Divorced - SRR Journal
- Women Making An Impact - Women In Law 2012
- Speaker, American Bar Association webinar regarding Business Valuation for Family Law Attorneys, February 20, 2015.