IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D. (2022)
Northeastern Illinois University, B.A. (2014)
Ricardo Santiago is an associate at Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP. He focuses his practice on high stakes family law matters related to the dissolution of marriage, parental rights, orders of protection, and international family law litigation. Noted as an exceptional oral and written communicator, Ricardo understands the importance of actively listening to each client’s needs. His fluency in Spanish also adds benefits and value to his clients as he helps ensure that there is no miscommunication in bilingual cases or with bilingual individuals. Ricardo’s analytical approach and keen eye for detail allows him to pick up on nuances and subtleties in the law, making him an excellent legal researcher, which allows him to craft creative and compelling arguments on behalf of his clients.
Ricardo is well-versed on preparing clients and witnesses for trial, depositions, and the litigation process. Prior to joining Schiller DuCanto & Fleck, Ricardo worked for several other law firms in Chicago, where he handled cases in federal and state court, including bankruptcy, immigration, personal injury (plaintiffs and defense), and worker’s compensation. He researched and drafted pleadings, analyzed complex financial documents, prepared exhibits and evidence for trial, and wrote monthly immigration articles published in the PINOY News Magazine. Ricardo also worked as an extern for the Honorable Mary. M. Rowland, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, where he drafted memorandum and opinion orders, including Section 1983 and habeas corpus actions.
- Dean’s List Fall 2019, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022
- 2021-2022 Bar and Gavel Society Inductee
- PracticePro 1L Diversity Scholar
- Illinois Bar Association
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Shriners International
- Looking at the Challenges Facing First-Generation Law Students (and how to address them), ABA For Law Students, Student Lawyer (Oct. 14, 2021) Co-authored with Dawn Young.
- PIPA+: An Argument for the Creation of a Private Cause of Action to Protect Against Disclosure of an Employee’s Private Medical Information at the Workplace. – Winner of the Mary Rose Strubbe Labor & Employment Writing Prize.
Ricardo earned his Juris Doctor from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law in 2022. While in law school, he was named to the Dean’s list every semester the award was issued, and worked as a Legal Research and Writing, as well as Civil Procedure, Teaching Assistant. He was a member of Phi Alpha Delta Society of Scholars and served as President of First-Generation Law Student Association. Ricardo also served as Student Editor for the Employee Rights & Employment Policy Journal, Associate Editor of the Journal of Intellectual Property, and he was a member of the Immigration Law Society Moot Court. Ricardo earned his Bachelor of Arts in Communication, Media, and Theatre from Northeastern Illinois University, graduating with double honors.