DePaul University, J.D. with distinction (1985)
University of Illinois, B.S. (1982)
ABA Family Law Section Family Law Advocacy Institute
Known for his strategic approach, Timothy Daw draws on over 35 years of experience in litigating and negotiating complex family law cases to help clients achieve their objectives. He works with clients to take charge of their situations by identifying issues, setting priorities, and mapping a course of action to arrive at their goals. As a senior partner of the firm,Timothy assists families and individuals, including business owners, executives, athletes, doctors, celebrities and their spouses and significant others in resolving divorce and other family law matters.
Timothy urges clients to see their divorce strategically, looking beyond the moment and short-term gain to the long-term impact of their decisions. Early in the process he offers a cost/benefit analysis to help clients take the right steps. Because divorce is likely to be one of the largest financial transactions of an individual’s lifetime, Timothy stresses achieving a balance of cash, real estate and retirement investments in the settlement.
- Listed in Best Lawyers of America, by Neifeh and Smith (2009-2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2005-2022)
- Leading Lawyers Network (2011-2021)
- Martindale Hubbell (Preeminent Peer Review Rating)
- DuPage County Bar Association Board of Directors Award for Outstanding Service
- DuPage County Legal Assistance Foundation Pro Bono Service Award
- DuPage County Bar Association Certificate of Appreciation for the Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute
- DuPage County Bar Association Certificate of Appreciation for Chair Person of the Family Law Practice Committee
- Illinois (1985)
- American Bar Association (Family Law Section)
- DuPage County Bar Association (Member, former Chairman of Family Law Committee, former Vice-Chairman of Family Law Committee, and former Member of the Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- Will County Bar Association (Member)
Articles and Publications
Pandemic Divorce: Family Law In The Time Of Covid - Crain's Chicago Business
Wealth Management: The Executive Divorce - Crain's Chicago Business
- In an ‘irreconcilable differences’ divorce system, what about marital misconduct?
- Newsletter - Summer 2017
- Timothy M. Daw was interviewed on WVON regarding child support and custody
- Effort to seek work and maintenance
- Timothy M. Daw was interviewed on WVON regarding child custody
- Newsletter - Winter 2017
- Newsletter Vol. 9, No. 4 - Fall
- The new Illinois marriage act: Striving for accountability, prompt resolutions
- Standard of living: A limitation or a factor?
- Newsletter Vol. 8, No. 2 - Spring
- A Child Does Not have the Right to Ultimately Choose His or Her Custodian
- Children of Divorced Parents Can Sue for College Expenses
- Divorcing in a Volatile Economic Market
- Can There Be Such a Thing As a Civil Divorce?
- “Net Income” for Child Support Purposes
- Guideline Child Support and Deviation Therefrom
- The Modification of Judgments for Dissolution of Marriage
- Preparing for the Great Cross: What Do You Know
- Numerous speaking engagements through Illinois State Bar Association; DuPage County Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association; Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education; on a national level, Sections of Family Law Litigation, National Business Institute, 1996; QDRO’s: What Can and Can’t be Done, ABA Family Law Section, Spring CLE Meeting, April 2002; Cross-Examination: Anybody Can Do It! ABA Family Law Section, Fall CLE Meeting, November 2002.
Respected as one of the top family lawyers in the Chicago area, Timothy brings expertise to a wide range of family issues including complex financial matters, business valuations, tax planning, shareholder divorce, custody disputes, property division, maintenance issues, and prenuptial agreements.
Timothy has been recognized by his peers and the community for his trial and litigation skills and for his philanthropic efforts. He has been listed among the Best Lawyers in America by Neifeh and Smith, an Illinois Super Lawyer, and a member of the Leading Lawyers Network. The DuPage County Bar Association has recognized him for his outstanding service to the Bar. The DuPage County Legal Assistance Foundation has recognized his pro bono service.
- Flossmoor Country Club (Director, 2015-2016)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation (Board Member,Certified Shorthand Reporters Board, 2015-2016)
- Supreme Court of Illinois Committee on Character and Fitness (Retired Member, 1991-2000)
- CASA of DuPage County (Director since 2007, Board President since 2010)
- Marian Catholic High School (former Member of Advisory Board)
- "Contempt Proceedings in Domestic Relations Cases," Illinois State Bar Association Young Lawyers Newsletter, Volume 32, No. 2, 1987
- "Sifting Through the Tax Return," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1990, and "Financial Planning and Tax Considerations of Divorce," Illinois CPA Society, 1995
- "The Possible Interjection of the New Spouse's Finances Into Post-Decree Dissolution of Marriage Proceedings," DuPage County Bar Association Brief, Volume 13, Issue 6, February 2001
- "Revisiting Transmutation 20 Years Later: Still Untamed?," DuPage County Bar Association Brief, Volume 15, Issue 8, April 2003
- "Client Management & Education," Illinois Family Law Series Volume 1, IICLE 2003.
- "Motions to Strike and Dismiss in Domestic Relations Cases", DuPage County Bar Association Brief, May, 2007